Local schoolchildren at Yaramoko village near Appian portfolio company Roxgold (West African gold producer)
Appian regards social, environmental and governance standards as crucial elements within all investment opportunities and portfolio companies
Corporate social responsibility
Appian regards social, environmental and governance standards as crucial elements within all investment opportunities and is committed to working to ensure that all of its portfolio companies adhere to international best standards. Mining requires collaboration from all stakeholders to support the project development in return for the greater social and financial benefit that a mine can bring to isolated communities and governments.
As part of Appian’s 360° due diligence process, the team reviews both the social and environmental aspects associated with all potential investment opportunities. This process generally involves a comprehensive review of existing environmental liabilities, rehabilitation and closure plans, local legislation and permitting requirements, local communities and other operating mines in the region. The Appian team is keenly aware of the continuous need for the social license to operate and ensures all projects and investment opportunities evaluated have a well-established and long term workable social license.
Principles for Responsible Investment
Appian has been accepted as a signatory to the United Nations-backed Principles for Responsible Investment (the “Principles”). The Principles are a set of internationally accepted guidelines, which ensure that all signees adhere to best-in-class responsible investment practices in relation to environmental, social, and governance (“ESG”) issues.
Appian has been a member since founding and, in signing the Principles, we publicly commit to adopt and implement them, where consistent with our fiduciary responsibilities.
The six Principles are:
- Incorporation of ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes
- Be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into the ownership policies and practices
- Seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues from the entities in which we invest
- Promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry
- Work together to enhance the effectiveness in implementing the Principles
- Each report on activities and progress towards implementing the Principles
For further information about the Principles, please click here.
Portfolio Company ESG Performance
Health, safety, environmental, and community programs consistently remain the top priority of all Appian portfolio companies throughout the life of the investment. The long-term value creation that is core to Appian’s mandate is not one-sided but, is rather viewed as an opportunity to give back to local communities and the environment through the implementation of robust social programs and the adherence to Tier 1 environmental practices.
All of Appian’s portfolio companies have delivered significant benefits to the local communities and stakeholders. We are believers in strong partnerships with local communities, which has led to the implementation of numerous social programs, and knowledge and skill advancements for the local stakeholders.
Each of Appian’s existing portfolio companies maintains a comprehensive health, safety, environmental, and community program. Beyond providing over 2,000 direct employment and training opportunities to remote communities, and thousands more indirectly, Appian’s portfolio companies undertake a number of community initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Community infrastructure programs, including the construction of classrooms, health centres, and water wells
- Local recruitment and vocational training from surrounding communities
- Preferential procurement from local suppliers and contractors
- Funding to support community enterprise schemes and business opportunities